An Oil Company with a Conscience

Skip navigation

Help with Heating Oil Bills in Vermont

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance program, known as LIHEAP or fuel assistance, helps thousands of low-income, elderly and disabled Vermonters stay warm each winter.

This year, Vermont will receive $19.6 million for this program. That’s $8 million less than last winter.

Fortunately, Governor Peter Shumlin and legislative leaders have decided that the state will add $6.1 million in reserve funding to the program to help make up for the shortfall.

“There is bipartisan consensus that the state of Vermont is too good, too decent and too caring to let any Vermonter freeze in their home this winter,” Shumlin said.

Other support is also available from the Crisis Fuels and WARMTH programs and from Citizens Energy.  For more information, call these numbers:

Fuel Assistance

Call 1-800-479-6151.

Crisis Fuels and WARMTH

Chittenden County, call 1-800-287-7971

Grand Isle County, call 1-800-300-7392

Washington or Lamoille Counties, call 1-800-639-1053.

Citizens Energy

Call 1-877-563-4645 for more information about one-time deliveries of heating oil or kerosene.  Be patient and keep trying if necessary – there is lots of demand for this program.

Help is also available from the Co-op Oil Bank, designed to provide help with oil bills for Co-op members who have lost their job, have serious medical bills, can’t afford to repair their furnace, or are facing other unexpected financial problems.

The Co-op Oil Bank now has 1,600 gallons of heating oil available.  We are now accepting contributions from our members to help make at least 2,000 gallons of heating oil and kerosene available this winter.  To make your contribution, please call the Energy Co-op of Vermont at (802) 860-4090.  Thanks very much.

Leave a Comment


Member: Vermont Fuel Dealers Association, Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility, Renewable Energy Vermont, Local First Vermont

© 2008–2016 Energy Co-op of Vermont, P.O. Box 111, Colchester VT 05446 | Tel: (802) 860-4090 - Toll Free: (866) 626-4328 - Fax: (802) 951-9157